Paul Napper, head chef at the Evesham Hotel shares his latest recipe with The Observer.
WILD MUSHROOM VELOUTE
THE season of mists and mellow fruitfulness is upon us once more, so why not make the most of the abundant wild food?
Mushrooms are my choice for this month’s recipe. Armed with a good and trusty book you can harvest them in the early morning dew and enjoy this lovely light soup for lunch.
If you are wary of picking your own mushrooms then check out one of the Vale’s farm shops.
250g Wild Mushrooms
200g Button Mushrooms
Sprig of Thyme
1 x Diced Carrot
1 x Diced Celery Stick
3 Finely sliced Shallots
1 x Garlic Clove
25ml Noilly Prat (not essential)
1/2 Litre Vegetable Stock
1/2 Litre Cream
Pinch of Salt
1. In a heavy based saucepan, add the garlic, celery, carrot and thyme and sautee until tender and a good colour is achieved.
2. Add the mushrooms and salt and slowly cook until the natural moisture has evaporated from the mushrooms.
3. Add the Noilly Prat and reduce completely until the liquid has evaporated.
4. Add the vegetable stock and reduce down by 3/4.
5. Finally add the cream and reduce by 1/4.
6. Pour the mixture into a liquidiser or food processor and blend until smooth. Then pass through a fine strainer and season to taste.
7. Serve with some garlic and thyme focaccia.