United extend unbeaten run thanks to miraculous recovery - The Evesham Observer

United extend unbeaten run thanks to miraculous recovery

Evesham Editorial 21st Jan, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

EVESHAM United secured a magnificent 4-3 victory at Swindon Supermarine on Saturday, despite playing the final 77 minutes plus stoppage time with ten men, as they came from 3-1 down to extend their unbeaten run to 11 matches.

The Robins had keeper Kevin Sawyer sent off but showed their battling qualities to chalk up their ninth win during the unbeaten run and move up to fourth place in Southern League Division One South & West as they completed their fourth double of the campaign.

Against the odds, skipper Matt Sysum completed a memorable comeback with the winning goal three minutes into stoppage time.

United, who included three former Marine players in their starting line-up, were caught napping straight from the kick-off, allowing Connor Waldon to give Swindon a dream start inside the opening 60 seconds.

Evesham responded immediately and levelled five minutes later when George Washbourne curled a delightful shot beyond the diving Sam Warrell.

On 13 minutes, however, the Red and Whites were dealt a massive blow when the influential Sawyer was dismissed for bringing down Corey King in the box and Chris Taylor made it 2-1 from the penalty spot, firing past stand-in keeper Liam Harding.

The game appeared to be heading away from United when King extended Marine’s lead to 3-1 with 25 minutes on the clock.

However, the impressive Ashley Edenborough had other ideas against his former club and produced a trademark finish in the 32nd minute to set up a pulsating second half.

Despite being a man down, Evesham stayed strong and dominated proceedings after the break. Warrell made excellent stops from the hard-working Adam Mann and Nick Stanley, while Edenborough and Sysum were both inches away from pulling the Robins level.

United’s pressure and positive approach was finally rewarded 15 minutes from time when Sean Wood played a short free kick into the path of Stanley and his deflected shot found the corner of the net for 3-3.

Evesham were now rampant and could sense blood and they piled bodies forward and only some last-ditch defending by the home side kept the United strikeforce at bay.

Remarkably, and to the delight of the large contingent of United supporters, that all changed three minutes into added time when United won a corner down the left and from Wood’s pinpoint flag kick Sysum powered home a downward header at the back post to complete a phenomenal performance and register United’s sixth away victory of the league season.

The Robins saw Tuesday’s scheduled visit to Wantage Town fall victim to a frozen pitch and they return to action on Saturday at home to mid-table Mangotsfield United as Paul Collicutt’s side bid to continue their relentless pursuit of a play-off place.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - facebook.com/EveshamObs to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Evesham Observer.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.