17th Jan, 2018

Town undone by ten-man Griff

Liam Moakes 20th Aug, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016

A SUPERB second half performance from Nuneaton Griff sentenced Pershore Town to a 4-1 defeat at the Pingles Stadium on Wednesday.

Town, fresh from Saturday’s 3-1 home win over Heather St John’s, had performed well in the first half and went into the break at 1-1 after Dan Carter had cancelled out a 13th minute penalty opener from Aden Moore.

Pershore’s goal in the 31st minute was an interesting one, as debutant home keeper George Woodward was adjudged to have picked up a back pass. A free kick was awarded ten yards from goal and Joe Walsh teed the ball up for Carter to smash the ball past the crowd of home players guarding the net.

Shortly after the break Griff were reduced to ten men when skipper Mark Williams was dismissed for what the referee deemed a jump tackle.

However, the hosts rose to the challenge of playing with ten men and clinched victory with a superb performance in the final quarter as Josh Ruff powerfully fired home, Kyle Baxter scored a fine individual goal and Luke Shorthouse completed a flowing move.

TOWN had recorded their second home league win of the week at the 2020SolarPV Stadium as they saw off visitors Heather St John’s on Saturday.

Town started quickly and took the lead after four minutes when Matt Mitchell’s long ball enabled Ellis Blakemore to just beat the keeper to the ball on the edge of the box and slip it around him into an empty net.

Town dominated the first 25 minutes and could have increased their lead further through efforts from Michael Skerrett, Walsh and Adam Laight.

However, after 28 minutes and against the run of play, Heather equalised with a floated free kick into the box from David Yonwin which evaded everyone and dropped into the net.

Town quickly regained the lead two minutes later when Walsh got on the end of a through ball to score past the advancing keeper.

The match then became a scappy affair and in the second half the visitors offered more threat as Pershore keeper Andy Yarnold was called into action on a couple of occasions.

Town, however, scored again after 80 minutes through a speculative Blakemore lofted shot from 25 yards which unfortunately for the young Heather keeper slipped through his hands into the net.

On Saturday eighth placed Town travel to Atherstone Town before Racing Club Warwick visit the 2020SolarPV Stadium on Tuesday.

All Wrapped Up Locally This Christmas


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Property Finder 24/7

Search for properties in Worcestershire, Warwickshire and the West Midlands.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Evesham Observer.