Spot-kick success secures League Cup progress for Town - The Evesham Observer

Spot-kick success secures League Cup progress for Town

Evesham Editorial 2nd Nov, 2016 Updated: 3rd Nov, 2016   0

PERSHORE Town progressed in the Polymac Packaging League Cup with a dramatic penalty shoot-out victory over visitors Cadbury Athletic on Tuesday.

Quentin Townsend’s side prevailed 4-3 on spot-kicks against their Midland League Division One rivals following an exciting 3-3 draw after extra-time.

Both teams contributed to a good cup tie with chances at both ends and it was Cadbury who had opened a 2-0 lead within 25 minutes, only for Louis Bridges to score from the penalty spot to reduce the deficit after 27 minutes before Will Gayton scored with a powerful header from Ollie Casey’s corner to equalise before the break.

Town took the lead after 55 minutes when Luke Church fired home from inside the box after skilful work from Jelson Antonio who set up the goal.

However, Cadbury equalised with 15 minutes remaining.

Town keeper Andy Yarnold, making his first appearance of the season, made a couple of good saves during the match and was the star in the penalty shoot-out.

It took seven penalties each before Town emerged the eventual winners, by which time Yarnold had saved two penalties and scored the decisive penalty himself.

In the last 16 Town will travel to Highgate United from the Premier Division following their 2-1 win at Stourport Swifts on the same night.

TOWN drew 2-2 at home to Heath Hayes in an entertaining league game on Saturday.

Pershore found themselves 2-0 down inside 22 minutes.

After six minutes Town keeper Tom Cross failed to deal with a corner into the box and Heath Hayes’ Chris Deakin headed home from close range.

Rhys Horton’s right-footed drive from outside the box increased the visitors’ lead before Town home pulled a goal back just before the break.

Casey drilled a ball across the penalty area and Antonio, who is on Kidderminster Harriers’ books, displayed composure before slotting the ball home.

Town played good football in the second half and, whilst Heath Hayes enjoyed a couple of decent chances on the counter-attack, the visitors relied on their keeper Mark Wiggins to make several good saves including one full-length stop to keep out Church’s header that seemed destined for the net.

Town’s equaliser came late in the game when substitute Ben Lane beat his marker and finished from close range.

Town travel to Pelsall Villa on Saturday before visiting Barnt Green Spartak in the Smedley Crooke Memorial Cup on Wednesday.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Evesham Observer newspaper.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.