Robins lose late on in FA Trophy replay - The Evesham Observer

Robins lose late on in FA Trophy replay

Evesham Editorial 5th Nov, 2014 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

EVESHAM United made an early exit from the FA Trophy as a late goal from Adeyinka Talabi proved enough to win Tuesday night’s first qualifying round replay for Banbury United at the Spencer Stadium.

The Puritans, bottom of the Southern League Premier Division – a tier above the Robins – will now take on Evo-Stik Northern Premier Division side Marine in the second qualifying round after their 1-0 replay victory, which followed Saturday’s 2-2 draw at the Jubilee Stadium.

Evesham went close in the first half on Tuesday when Banbury’s Tom Fishwick sliced a clearance on to a post, only for George Washbourne – with the goal at his mercy – to place his shot wide.

Earlier Ashley Edenborough had gone close with a couple of efforts as the visitors enjoyed the majority of possession.

After the break Marcus Jackson, who was a threat with his pace down the right, set up Edenborough who pulled his shot wide when well placed and then Jackson himself fired in a couple of shots just wide of the target.

Edenborough then had a ‘goal’ disallowed for offside and, at the other end, Robins keeper Kevin Sawyer produced a flying save to deny Aidan Hawtin.

However, with the game heading for extra time, Talabi got on the end of a right wing cross to beat Sawyer with a well placed header to send the home side through into the next round.

Paul Collicutt’s Evesham had only earned a second bite at the cherry courtesy of Matt Sysum’s stoppage time equaliser which rescued a 2-2 draw on Saturday.

It turned out to be an afternoon to forget for Edenborough, as the Robins’ leading scorer missed a first half penalty and then got himself sent off, leaving the hosts to play the remaining

25 minutes with ten men.

Evesham survived a scare in the opening seconds when Darius Browne’s corner caught everybody off guard and struck a post with stopper Sawyer beaten, before being cleared.

In the 29th minute Declan Hartigan sent Sysum tumbling in the box, only for Edenborough to have his spot kick pushed aside by Puritans keeper Leigh Bedwell.

Evesham, however, did make the breakthrough five minutes before half time when youngster Harry Williams converted Washbourne’s cross from close range.

The lead lasted until just before the hour mark when Browne’s header at the back post levelled the tie at 1-1.

Shortly afterwards, Edenborough got his marching orders when the eight-goal striker was adjudged to have made a rash challenge on Banbury defender Dave Lynn.

The visitors sensed an opportunity to push home their extra man advantage and duly took a 2-1 lead through impressive substitute Talabi with 19 minutes to go.

Evesham pressed in search of an equaliser without seriously testing Bedwell, but the Banbury gloveman could do little to prevent Sysum’s last-gasp equaliser when the central defender prodded in Washbourne’s left wing delivery.

Evesham return to Southern League Division One South & West action on Saturday when they host Larkhall Athletic before visiting Cinderford Town on Tuesday.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Evesham Observer.