Robins exit FA Trophy as Cirencester earn quickfire revenge - The Evesham Observer

Robins exit FA Trophy as Cirencester earn quickfire revenge

Evesham Editorial 10th Oct, 2017   0

EVESHAM United bowed out of the FA Trophy at the preliminary round stage on Sunday as visitors Cirencester Town gained revenge for a league defeat less than a fortnight previously with a 3-2 victory.

The Robins had won 1-0 at the Corinium Stadium in late September to earn three Southern League West points but this time time around it was Town who got the better of another entertaining game.

The 236-strong crowd did not have to wait long to see the first goalscoring opportunity in the fifth minute when Evesham striker Greg Peel broke into the box but was unable to get his shot away or find another Evesham shirt.

Cirencester’s first chance came soon afterwards when a poor ball out by Robins keeper Kevin Saywer was picked up and taken back into box, but the Evesham stopper was quickly able to make amends with a good save at the near post.

Peel then twisted and turned in the Cirencester box to create space to shoot but his effort was well blocked.

Adam Mann and Bradley Gray went close for the hosts before the break but half time was reached goalless.

Carl Brown replaced the injured Archie Haskayne in the United midfield at the interval and, having started the second period under the cosh, Paul Collicutt’s side took the lead on 52 minutes when Peel chested down a ball from Paul Fahy for Lewis Powell to fire emphatically past the keeper.

Evesham grew in confidence but, having failed to capitalise on their chances, it was only a matter of time before the Centurions were able to get back into the game.

United failed to clear the danger and Ben Whitehead capitalised to bring the visitors level and the next ten minutes were those of a footballing bad day at the office for Evesham as two goals in quick succession from Aidan Bennett swung the tie decisively in Cirencester’s favour.

The first was a shot from outside the box which left Sawyer flat-footed and the second was a deflected strike through a crowded area.

Powell netted his second goal in the 90th minute with a looping header which beat Cirencester keeper Mateusz Wieczorek, but it was too little, too late to save the Robins as Circencester secured victory and a first qualifying round tie at Paulton Rovers.

Third placed Evesham return to Southern League West action at home to Didcot Town on Saturday before the rearranged League Cup first round tie at home to Stratford Town on Wednesday.

The winners will visit Redditch United on Tuesday, November 7.

Match report courtesy of Dean Speake.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Advertise with the Evesham Observer to reach your audience

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.