Pershore edged out in cup and league contests - The Evesham Observer

Pershore edged out in cup and league contests

Evesham Editorial 15th Oct, 2014 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

PERSHORE Town exited the Worcestershire Senior Urn as they lost 2-1 at Dudley Sports on Tuesday.

A much-changed Pershore team played good football and created some decent chances in the first half, including one goalmouth scramble when the ball hit the bar and was cleared off the line twice.

Dudley took the lead after 70 minutes when Jason Walters rose highest to head home from close range, but Stephen Roche equalised for Town after 76 minutes having dribbled past two defenders before scoring with a right-footed shot from the edge of the area into the far corner.

Town were then reduced to ten men when Aaron Xavier, as last man, received a red card for tripping Dudley’s striker when through on goal.

The hosts scored the winner when substitute Jonathan Letford broke clear of the Town defence and finished confidently.

PERSHORE were beaten 2-0 by high-flying visitors Highgate United in Midland Football League Division One on Saturday.

Town played some good football in the first half and were the better team and it appeared only the officials did not see a clear foul on Town player Joe Walsh in the box as what looked a clearcut penalty was denied.

Despite the quality of football, Town were unable to create enough clearcut chances in front of goal and the second half saw the visitors dominate possession and put Pershore under pressure.

The deadlock was broken after 78 minutes when Town lost possession in the middle of the pitch and a swift counter-attack was finished from close range by Nathan Edgington.

The second goal was the last kick of the game when highly-rated Lei Brown prodded the ball past Andrew Yarnold from eight yards.

Pershore entertain Atherstone Town in the Les James Challenge Cup on Saturday at the Winstanley King George V Stadium.

PERSHORE Town Falcons U18s secured a 4-3 victory over visitors Bidford Town at the weekend.

The home side were keen to improve their early season form and they forged ahead after just six minutes when Jake Wilkinson finished nicely.

However, they were pegged back just three minutes later before Pershore centre forward Wilkinson made it 2-1 midway through the first half.

Two minutes into the second half Bidford equalised but in a strong finish to the game substitute Dominic Trowbridge headed home to restore Pershore’s lead before Liam Preston’s neat strike took the game beyond the reach of the visitors.

Bidford did manage to pull one more back, but it was the Falcons who took the spoils as they were well led by captain and man of the match Lewis Bennett.

Pershore travel to high-flying Crowle on Saturday (10.30am).

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.