Lacklustre Robins struggling to find momentum - The Evesham Observer

Lacklustre Robins struggling to find momentum

Evesham Editorial 19th Aug, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

Evesham United 0 Swindon Supermarine 1

UNITED continued their indifferent start to the season on Tuesday as they went down to Oli Bailey’s last minute goal and dropped to 17th place in Southern League Division One South & West.

It was another disappointing display in front of the home supporters as Evesham’s ineffective long ball game was food and drink for Swindon’s well-drilled defence.

The visitors, who were surprisingly beaten by Bishops Cleeve three days earlier, looked dangerous going forward, especially in the second half and it was no surprise when United finally cracked late on, allowing Swindon to leave the Jubilee Stadium with all three points.

The opening 45 minutes was a more even affair as both sides looked threatening, but neither was able to make the decisive breakthrough.

Adam Mann and Ashley Williams both had shots blocked for United and Marine keeper Matt Bulman had to be alert to cut out a through ball from Lee Smith.

Swindon then went close when Chris Taylor’s free kick on the right evaded everyone and rolled inches wide of Kevin Sawyer’s far upright.

In the last action of the opening period, Bulman safely gathered Ashley Edenborough’s header as the first period closed at 0-0.

Sawyer was called into action during the early stages of the second half, diving full length to save from the dangerous Luke Hopper, and from Josh Morse’s deep cross Ross Adams failed to connect at the back post as Swindon continued on the front foot.

Nick Stanley a – former Marine player – planted a low drive just wide but play soon returned to the opposite end when Ash Taylor’s goalbound header was superbly touched on to the crossbar and over by the stretching Sawyer.

However, with the game entering its final stages, Bailey’s movement allowed him to cut in from the right and, although his first shot was blocked, the Swindon substitute followed up to bury the rebound out of Sawyer’s reach for Swindon’s winner.

Evesham’s evening was summed up in stoppage time when a free kick awarded on the edge of the box was ballooned out of the ground by George Washbourne and with it went any hopes of a last-gasp equaliser.

Evesham, who have four points from four games, host Winchester City on Saturday.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.