It's déjà vu as United are held once again - The Evesham Observer

It's déjà vu as United are held once again

Evesham Editorial 6th Feb, 2017   0

EVESHAM United boss Paul Collicutt was left frustrated but philosophical after watching his side held to a third successive Southern League Division One South & West draw.

The Robins took a late lead at lowly Yate Town on Saturday but the Gloucestershire side hit back to level four minutes from time, although the 1-1 draw was enough for United to maintain second place.

United took the lead through Mike Baker’s own goal in the 82nd minute, only to be punished for not killing the game off when Bluebells substitute Jake Slocombe fired home an equaliser four minutes from time.

To cap a meagre day for the visitors, skipper Linden Dovey, Lewis Binns and Liam Harding all had to leave the field injured and are now major doubts for Saturday’s important home game against fellow play-off hopefuls Swindon Supermarine.

Collicutt said: “The loss of three key players carried off just after half time was a blow and didn’t help matters, but we still created enough opportunities to win the game.

“We drew with Paulton the previous week and then at the weekend they go and beat in-form Taunton and that shows how unpredictable this league can be.

“Nothing is guaranteed in football and there will be plenty more twists and turns before the end of the season.

“We now move on to Swindon Supermarine this Saturday which is another massive game for us and hopefully our supporters will turn out in numbers to get behind the boys.”

Yate went into the contest without a win in ten games and, despite a lack of recent victories, United arrived at the Jelf Stadium unbeaten in five and seeking a third league double of the season.

Despite dominating possession in the first half, United struggled to get an effort on target as the Yate defenders on a number of occasions threw their bodies on the line to get in crucial blocks as the ball flew goalwards.

United’s best moment arrived leading up to the interval when Town keeper Harvey Rivers somehow held on to Elliot Kennedy’s near post drive after the winger had burst into the Yate box.

Earlier, Robins keeper Kevin Sawyer had been called into action, making a flying save to deny Luke Bryan, before Nick Stanley got in a last-ditch tackle on Hayden Evans as Yate asked one or two questions on the break.

Evesham upped the tempo after half time and looked far more threatening going forward as the hardworking Stanley proved a constant threat on the left, delivering some teasing crosses into the danger area.

United’s luck was summed up when top scorer Lance Smith headed against a post and Adam Mann was unable to get the final touch a yard out in front of an open goal.

Smith got himself in a tangle at the back post and scuffed a Stanley delivery agonisingly wide before United’s pressure was finally rewarded when Baker turned Lorcan Sheehan’s cross beyond Rivers and into his own net.

That should have been game over for the Red & Whites and the signal to shut up shop, but just four minutes later sloppy defending allowed Kyle Thomas to find debutant Slocombe who buried an unlikely equaliser past the helpless Sawyer.

The result left United rueing their missed chances in the second half but Collicutt was in reflective mood.

“Yes I am disappointed but, with 12 games to go, we are second in the league and would have taken that all day long at the start of the season.”

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Evesham Observer newspaper.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Evesham Observer.