Edenborough salvages late draw for high-flying Robins - The Evesham Observer

Edenborough salvages late draw for high-flying Robins

Evesham Editorial 25th Feb, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

ASHLEY Edenborough’s equaliser two minutes from time rescued a point for Evesham United as they drew 2-2 with Wimborne Town in Saturday’s Southern League Division One South & West game at home to Wimborne Town.

The Robins’ leading scorer netted an 88th minute leveller after the visitors had stunned the home crowd with two goals in four second half minutes after Jared Wilson had given United an interval lead.

Wimborne arrived at the Jubilee Stadium with one of the best away records in the league, but found themselves a goal behind after just 12 minutes.

Adam Mann, with his back to goal, held off the challenge of several defenders before finding Wilson who drove home through a ruck of players for his third goal in two games.

Soon after the goal, Edenborough found the back of the net, only to have his effort disallowed for a questionable foul on Magpies goalkeeper Jason Harvell.

Lee Smith on his home debut fired too high and then just failed to get a touch on George Washbourne’s cross as Paul Collicutt’s men pressed to double their advantage.

Wimborne briefly came out of their shell, resulting in Luke Holmes prodding wide at the near post and then James Stokoe seeing his shot cleared off the line by United defender Linden Dovey.

During the opening exchanges of the second half, Mann wriggled his way clear only to be denied by the onrushing Harvell, but then the game swung Wimborne’s way with two goals against the run of play in quick succession.

On 58 minutes United failed to clear Sam Griffin’s corner, enabling Ian Oliver to level at the back post, and then, with the United defence all at sea, Griffin got down the right before crossing to the unmarked Stokoe who side-footed the visitors 2-1 ahead.

As the clocked ticked and in driving rain and hailstones, United piled on the pressure, with several efforts going wide, and Harvell saved well from Edenborough and substitute Lance Smith.

An equaliser, however, was not far away and duly arrived on 88 minutes when Edenborough was brought down on the edge of the box and from Mann’s free kick the United striker planted a firm header past Harvell for his 12th goal of the season.

United remain third in the table, having been beaten just once in 18 games, heading into Saturday’s game at AFC Totton in Southampton.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - facebook.com/EveshamObs to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Evesham Observer.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.