Debutant MacDonald strikes late to rescue a share of the spoils - The Evesham Observer

Debutant MacDonald strikes late to rescue a share of the spoils

Evesham Editorial 23rd Sep, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

Didcot Town 1 Evesham United 1

Southern League Division One South & West

NEW SIGNING Dan MacDonald made an instant impact as he came off the bench to earn United a draw at the Loop Meadow Stadium on Saturday.

The second half substitute, who had joined from Welsh League Division One side Monmouth Town in midweek, was quickest to react when the ball arrived from Clayton Green’s cross and the former Aston Villa youngster confidently lashed the ball home for a richly deserved equaliser five minutes from time.

It was the absolute least Paul Collicutt’s side deserved as they played Didcot off the park, but once again failed to convert a bucketload of chances into goals.

For the first time in four games, Collicutt was forced to alter his starting line-up as midfielder Ashley Williams came in for injured captain Matt Sysum.

Straight from the kick-off Didcot had no answer to United’s free-flowing football and home keeper Leigh Bedwell – who had an inspired game between the sticks – was soon called upon to make a smart double save to keep out the hardworking Nick Stanley.

United had penalty appeals turned down when Adam Mann went to ground under a heavy challenge in the Didcot box and then strikes by Louis McGrory and George Washbourne were well saved by Bedwell as United continued to bombard the Didcot goal.

At the other end, United were given a fright when Mark Francis found the net but Didcot’s celebrations were cut short when his header was disallowed for offside.

It remained goalless until half time but United came out with all guns blazing in the second half and it did not take long for Lance Smith to go close when his header smacked against the crossbar with Bedwell beaten.

Mann and Sean Wood were both denied by the overworked Bedwell, before out of the blue Didcot took a shock 80th minute lead when Francis capitalised on a mistake at the back to bundle the ball over the line.

However, within five minutes United were back on level terms thanks to MacDonald’s well struck debut goal and then in stoppage time Evesham were denied a dramatic late winner when Green’s header rattled the woodwork before the danger was cleared.

The tenth placed Robins return to home soil on Saturday when they host Wantage Town before making the trip to Shortwood United on Tuesday.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Evesham Observer.