Buoyant Robins one win away from FA Cup first round - The Evesham Observer

Buoyant Robins one win away from FA Cup first round

Evesham Editorial 15th Oct, 2014 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

EVESHAM United are just one win away from a potential FA Cup tie against Football League opposition after continuing their impressive form with a superb 4-1 home victory over Chalfont St Peter in the third qualifying round on Saturday.

The Robins came from a goal down to prevail at the Jubilee Stadium and extend their unbeaten run in all competitions to eight matches.

However, they will face a tough test in their bid to reach the first round proper after Monday’s draw handed Paul Collicutt’s side a fourth qualifying round home tie against high-flying Conference South outfit Bromley on Saturday, October 25.

United, who reached the first round proper of the FA Cup for the first and only time in the 2008/09 season, recovered from the setback of conceding the opening goal on Saturday to delight the majority of the 434-strong crowd and see off their Buckinghamshire visitors, who play at the equivalent level in Southern League Division One Central.

Evesham, who were playing their sixth game in the competition and in front of their biggest crowd of the season, were first out of the blocks and unlucky not to be ahead inside the opening five minutes.

First Ashley Edenborough had his header cleared off the line by Gareth Paxton and then Lance Smith failed to connect with Edenborough’s low cross with the goal at his mercy.

Play immediately switched to the opposite end, resulting in Remmel Clarke silencing the home crowd by firing the Saints in front after keeper Kevin Sawyer had produced a brave block to keep out Alan Hedley’s drive.

However, that was as good as it got for the vistors as Evesham went on to dictate the rest of the game.

Chalfont defender Kevin Oyodele was in the right place to make another goalline clearance, this time to deny George Washbourne, before stopper Mike McEntegart gathered well at the foot of his post from Washbourne’s teasing cross.

However, in the last action of the first half, Smith waltzed through the Chalfont defence and rounded McEntegart to level the score at the break.

United made the perfect start to the second half when Jared Wilson picked out Edenborough and the in-form striker buried an unstoppable shot beyond the diving McEntegart.

It got even better for Collicutt’s side when Smith raced down the right and crossed to the onrushing Elliot Kennedy who swept in a fine strike just past the hour mark.

By now Chalfont were a beaten side and to complete another impressive performance by the Robins – following on from successive 5-0 victories in the league – Washbourne, who was a handful throughout, deservedly got on the scoresheet by firing home in a crowded goalmouth.

Meanwhile, United’s Worcestershire Senior Cup first round tie at Stourbridge has been arranged for Tuesday, November 18 (7.45pm).

Stuart Purfield was on hand to capture the action from Saturday’s victory. Visit www.stuartpurfield.co.uk.

Kevin Sawyer was his usual commanding presence in goal for United. (s)

The Robins’ Matt Sysum wins this aerial duel. (s)

Evesham’s Jared Wilson battles for possession. (s)

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - facebook.com/EveshamObs to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Advertise with the Evesham Observer to reach your audience

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Evesham Observer newspaper.