Big crowd watches Pershore push Hereford hard in League Cup - The Evesham Observer

Big crowd watches Pershore push Hereford hard in League Cup

Evesham Editorial 16th Sep, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

A BUMPER crowd of 567 watched Pershore Town put up a valiant display against Hereford FC in the Midland Football League Polymac Packaging League Cup on Tuesday, but it was the much-fancied visitors who emerged 1-0 victors at the 2020SolarPV Stadium.

The only goal was scored after 14 minutes when Nathan Hughes finished from close range, but only after the visitors had an earlier scare when Pershore’s Steve Roche’s fired in a shot which grazed the bar.

A competitive first half saw Hereford, who are many people’s red-hot tip for the Premier Division title, have more possession, but Town’s defence was well marshalled and held firm.

In the second half, however, Hereford’s superior fitness told and they would have increased their lead had it not been for two excellent saves from Town’s Andy Yarnold.

Whilst Town have gone out of the competition in the first round, it was a fantastic evening for the club, playing in an enclosed stadium where all sides were blacked out, which added to the atmosphere under the floodlights and in front of the largest crowd at the stadium for many years.

Indeed, there is another big event on the cards for Pershore when the club visit Bromsgrove Sporting on October 10 in a match which is to receive national coverage as one of the few featured matches on National Non-League Day.

THERE was a great start for new Town boss Glen Brotherton on Saturday as his side defeated visitors Nuneaton Griff 3-2 in Midland Football League Division One.

Despite eight players being unavailable to the new manager, Town put in a very spirited and committed performance against the second placed visitors.

The usual fluent football was not on display, which was hardly surprising with various players playing out of position against a team who in the last month have been high scorers.

Whilst Town’s defence handled Griff’s potent forward line well, Yarnold made one excellent save and Griff squandered a couple of good opportunities whilst Roche hit the post for Town.

Town took a 12th-minute lead through Roche’s 25-yard free kick which was drilled into the corner of the net.

However, despite leading at the break, Town were trailing 15 minutes into the second half after conceding two goals from balls from the byline converted from close range.

Pershore equalised through an own goal from a corner after 75 minutes and, with both teams pushing for a winner, it was Town who scored in the final minute when substitute Jon Speak converted from close range following good work from Danny Carter.

Town visit Pilkington XXX in the league on Saturday.

Are you on Facebook?

Like or follow our Facebook page - to get daily news updates straight to your news feed.


Advertise with the Evesham Observer to reach your audience


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Evesham Observer newspaper.