MORE than 100 homes are set to be built in Pershore despite developers being accused of creating ‘wanton vandalism’ on the historic site.
A total of 120 houses at Hurst Meadow on Wyre Road were given the go-ahead by Wychavon District Council’s planning committee last Thursday (November 6).
The thumbs up were handed in-spite of councillors claiming Lansdowne Rodway Estates had ploughed up the ancient grass land at the site.
Coun Charles Tucker, councillor for the area, said: “I regret we don’t have a speaker from the applicant today because I would have liked to have asked them why they dug up and ploughed the grass land.
“It was clearly done to spite the committee and get around protecting it. Worcestershire Wildlife Trust screamed blue murder when they heard it had been ploughed up.
“A protection should be put in place before the reserved matters comes in.”
Coun Val Wood said she didn’t understand the vandalism and Pershore councillor David Brotheridge called it an ‘unnecessary’ incident.
“If the applicants were hoping to gain support from the local residents they have certainly gone about it in the wrong way,” Coun Brotheridge said.
“The unnecessary ploughing of that land has provoked more unrest than was needed. While it can be reinstated, I don’t believe any amount of work can recover what we have lost.”
And his concerns were echoed by Coun Linda Robinson who described the move as a ‘personal kicking’ to members.
After being deferred twice previously, the proposals will see 33 bungalows at the site, which is part of the emerging South
Worcestershire Development Plan, and Coun Brotheridge was happy the main concerns had been met.
“All of the issues have been addressed and I am more confident the scheme can be delivered,” he added. “I certainly welcome the amount of bungalows on the site.”