Evesham dad who nearly died in a vicious attack pleads with witnesses to identify attacker - The Evesham Observer

Evesham dad who nearly died in a vicious attack pleads with witnesses to identify attacker

Evesham Editorial 23rd Sep, 2016 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016   0

AN EVESHAM dad who nearly died following an assault outside a town club has pleaded with witnesses to ‘do the decent thing’ and help police bring his attackers to justice.

Father of two Ashley Davis suffered a bleed on the brain after he was allegedly hit on the back of the head with a bat outside the Ambassador Snooker Club on Saturday, July 30.

Doctors said the 33-year-old was lucky not to suffer a seizure or stroke following the vicious assault which also left Ashley needing seven staples in the back of his head.

The father of two’s life has changed following the attack and two months on he said he was still suffering from the consequences of the assault.

Ashley is now frightened to leave his home by himself and avoids going anywhere in the dark alone.

He also lost 50 per cent of his senses, which are only now beginning to recover, his speech has become slurred and his memory has also been affected. Ashley also suffers from high anxiety which he says has become ’10 times worse’ since the attack.

Speaking to the Observer, Ashley described how he went from ‘having a laugh with everyone’ to waking up in hospital with seven staples in the back of his head.

“The whole night was fine, I walked outside, I remember having a cigarette and I remember being stood around with two people,” he said.

“Whilst I was stood with them I just remember a semi-circle in front of me of about six or seven people. I remember looking behind me back down the road and the whole road was just full of people.

“I was stood talking for a couple of minutes and I turned round because I heard a girl shouting and heard a few men shouting. One of them I think spat in her face and then another pushed her back.

“I went straight up to the blokes and I just said there is no need for that, calm down, she said she doesn’t want to go with you and the next thing I knew I woke up in hospital having a staple put in the back of my head.

The 33-year-old has become increasingly frustrated with the police’s investigation and hopes his emotional plea will encourage witnesses to come forward.

“As far as I’m concerned he’s on the list of the biggest cowards going,” he added.

“There’s nothing worse you could do to someone then a cowardly attack from behind with a weapon for no reason.

“I hate him for what he’s done; I’ve lost six weeks of my life for nothing. I nearly lost my life; it just makes me sick inside.

“I’m sat at home shaking, thinking who could have done it and that’s all I keep thinking about. I just want the person caught, that’s it.

“Please do the decent thing. This guy could go out and do it to someone else and it could be one of your brothers, sisters, mum or dad. It could just be a random attack- he could do it to a girl or worse. He shouldn’t be allowed to be walking around; it’s as simple as that.”

Anyone with information which may help police with their investigation is urged to call them on 101, quoting incident number 123s of July 30.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Evesham Observer.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.