27th Oct, 2016

Aerosol explosion at Offenham home

Evesham Editorial 20th Mar, 2015 Updated: 20th Oct, 2016

AN OFFENHAM woman has thanked Evesham firefighters who tackled an explosion at her home caused by aerosol cans.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) were called to reports of a bedroom fire in Station Road, Offenham at 9pm on Sunday, March 7.

Crews from Evesham attended the incident which involved a small fire that had started by a candle being positioned too close to two aerosols; a bottle dry shampoo and a nail hardener.

These aerosols later exploded and caused structural damage to the property.

Two of the occupants were treated by ambulance personnel at the scene for minor injuries and advised to attend their local A&E department.

One of the occupiers Cathy Smith said “I want to thank all of the firemen who were there that night. Words cannot express how grateful I am.”

Assisted by a structural engineer from Wychavon District Council, HWFRS crews worked through the night to secure the building and ensure it was not at risk from collapse following the explosions.

Station Commander, Phil Griffiths said “Although the actual fire damage was minimal, the explosion had forced the roof, walls and windows out by a few inches.

“A full fire investigation was carried out and it was determined that the fire had started from candles around the dressing table being in close proximity to two aerosol cans.”

Following the incident, HWFRS is urging the public to take extra care with aerosols.

Community Risk Group Commander, Adrian Elliot said: “Aerosols are extremely flammable and can explode when subjected to higher temperatures.

“If you use aerosols, keep them away from sources of ignition and never leave them in direct sunlight.”

Call 0800 032 1155 or visit www.hwfire.org.uk for more information about home safety.