CONTROVERSIAL proposals for up to 380 homes to be built on land in the heart of Evesham are being reviewed as a result of the introduction of a major housing blueprint, the Observer can reveal.
Developers Hallam Land Management had submitted a planning application to Wychavon District Council to build the 380 homes on land off Boat Lane, but bosses have now admitted they are now reviewing their development options due to the South Worcestershire Development Plan.
In February, Wychavon, Worcester City and Malvern Hills councils formally adopted the SWDP- a major housing blue print for 28,000 homes to be built by 2030.
The document sets out how only 200 homes should be built on land off Abbey Road, with the Hallam application far exceeding the allocated number of homes for that land.
Hallam’s application also included plans for up to 2,500sq metres of employment land, children’s play area, and community orchard.
Last year, the Vale of Evesham Civic Society hosted a public meeting on the SWDP, in which hundreds of residents attended, with many voicing their concerns about the proposed Abbey Road development, with many angered at the amount of green land which would be lost and the impact on the town’s traffic.
Hallam first submitted their planning application back in September of last year, but they have since asked Wychavon on two occasions for an extension of time on their application, with it now pushed back until Friday, July 29.
A spokesman for Hallam Land Management said: “In light of the now adopted SWDP we are in the process of reviewing updated development options for the site.”
The Vale of Evesham Civic Society have voiced anger about the extension of time in determining the application, and have called for it to either be withdrawn or taken to the planning committee as soon as possible.
“This application was first registered in September 2015 and the consultation period shown as ended on 13/11/2015. A very large number of objections were submitted to the application,” they said.
“Since November there have been two extensions of times granted and now another one dated Tuesday, May 24 appears to have been confirmed.
“I submit that this application should either be withdrawn or go to Committee as soon as possible.
“It is unreasonable that the applicants should continue to be allowed further extensions of time,” the society added.
What do you think? Write to the editor by e-mailing email@example.com with your views.