Paul Napper, head chef at the Evesham Hotel writes for the Observer
Chicken and Chorizo with Paprika and Red Wine
WITH summer now upon us we can start planning relaxing evening meals sitting outside … ahh! But rather than feeling obliged to barbecue everything here is something with a summery taste and look that is easy to prepare inside.
As always I like to include something seasonal and local so make sure to pick up some broad beans which are sweet and tender at this time of year.
2tsp Smoked Paprika
1tsp Chilli Powder
2 Chicken thighs (boned)
2tbsp Olive oil
1 Small onion, finely sliced
2 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 Small chorizo sausage, chopped
100ml Red wine
50g Broad beans, (skin removed)
1tbsp Chopped chives
1tbsp Chopped parsley
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180oc (gas mark 4)
2. In a bowl, mix together the paprika, chilli powder, salt and pepper then roll the chicken thighs in the mixture making sure they are fully coated.
3. Heat one table spoon of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken until golden brown on both sides. Transfer the chicken to an oven proof dish and then bake for approx 15 minutes until cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, transfer the pan back on the heat with the remaining oil and fry the onions and garlic until soft then add the chorizo and fry gently until it starts to crisp (approx 5 minutes).
5. Add the red wine and simmer then add the broad beans and stir.
6. Remove the chicken from the oven and cut into strips. Then add the chicken and the chives to the pan and stir to combine.
7. Put the chicken mixture in a shallow dish and garnish with parsley – enjoy!
This is one of those dishes that looks as fantastic on the plate as it tastes on the tongue, which is pretty darned good!