Kieran Hunt, head chef at the Wood Norton Hotel writes for the Observer
IF YOU haven’t had time to find a Father’s Day present yet, then fear not I have a perfect, easy-to-follow recipe that will keep Dad sweet, whilst occupying the little ones for an hour or so.
Best served with a cup of tea and half an hour of peace and quiet!
Millionaire Shortbread: Makes 20 pieces
You will need…
For the shortbread
225g plain flour
175g unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
75g caster sugar
For the topping
1 x 379g can condensed milk
150g soft dark brown sugar
300g dark or milk chocolate, whichever your preference
60g white chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 150C. Line a 23cm/9in square cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Using your hands, rub together the flour, sugar and butter cubes until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Tip the mixture into the lined cake tin and spread it out evenly. Then press the shortbread down firmly using your knuckles so that it is tightly packed in the tin.
4. Bake the shortbread for 30 minutes or until very light golden brown. Set aside to cool.
5. Meanwhile, for the topping, heat the butter, condensed milk and soft dark brown sugar in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth, being careful not to burn it!
6. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring frequently. The caramel will thicken and turn golden-brown. Set aside to cool and thicken slightly, then pour over the cooled shortbread. Allow to cool completely. (Suggest putting it in the fridge to speed up).
7. Melt the dark/milk chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water (ensure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water), stirring occasionally.
8. Pour the melted chocolate over the caramel and set aside until the chocolate has cooled completely.
9. Melt the white chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water (ensure that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water), stirring occasionally.
10. Drizzle your white chocolate over the dark/milk chocolate and set aside to cool completely. Cut into squares and serve.