September 27th, 2016

It’s high fives once again for Robins

Updated: 9:10 am, May 07, 2015

EVESHAM United netted five goals for the second game running as they continued their blistering form with a 5-1 victory at Didcot Town on Saturday.

United remain third in the Southern League Division One South & West table – a point behind second placed Stratford Town – with two matches remaining, the first of which is Saturday’s visit of Tiverton Town to the Jubilee Stadium for the final regular home league game of the campaign.

This latest win – an eighth in succession for the Robins – ended the Railwaymen’s outside chance of clinching a play-off place and was yet another remarkable display by the visitors, who never looked back after going 2-0 up and have now lost just once in 26 matches.

United made their intentions known from the start and the considerable difference in quality was displayed inside the opening 60 seconds when it took a fine save by Town keeper James Foster to prevent the energetic Marcus Jackson from giving Evesham an early lead.

It was not long, however, before two quickfire goals put United firmly in control at the Loop Meadow Stadium.

Adam Mann finished off a sweeping move to superbly volley home from 20 yards and then the impressive Lee Smith, who was a constant threat down the flanks all afternoon, was upended in the box by assistant manager Jamie Heapy and captain Matt Sysum kept his nerve to easily make it 2-0 from the penalty spot with his 11th goal of the season.

Despite the poor and uneven playing surface, United continued to play some attractive football and went close through Mann and Ashley Edenborough but against the run of play Pablo Haysham pulled a goal back for the hosts when his scuffed shot trickled over the line with Kevin Sawyer wrong-footed.

With Linden Dovey and Sysum outstanding at the back for United, the league’s leading scorer John Mills rarely got a kick and never once looked like adding to his tally of 53 goals in all competitions this season.

Instead, United cranked up the pressure and, roared on by the large travelling support, added two more goals in five second half minutes to emphasise the gulf in class between the two sides.

Jackson made it 3-1 with a crisp finish past Foster and Lance Smith volleyed in spectacularly to make it 4-1 after neat skills by Lee Smith on the edge of the box.

There was still time for a fifth Evesham goal in the last minute when Lee Smith glided past two defenders down the right and his low cross was touched home by the unmarked Lance Smith at the back post to complete another perfect away day for the Red & Whites and cap a victory which guarantees United a home draw in the play-offs.