September 27th, 2016

Evesham woman left ‘lost and heartbroken’ after dog dies from rat poison

Evesham woman left ‘lost and heartbroken’ after dog dies from rat poison Evesham woman left ‘lost and heartbroken’ after dog dies from rat poison
Two-year-old Alfie died as a result of rat poisoning. (s)
Updated: 2:08 pm, Aug 18, 2016

A HEARTBROKEN Evesham woman is warning dog owners of the dangers of rat poison after her puppy tragically died.

The 29-year-old, who doesn’t want to be named, has spoken out after two-year-old Alfie, a ruff hair Jack Russell, died as a result of suspected rat poisoning on their daily walk.

On Sunday, August 7 she took Alfie to the field off Fairwater Close – where she always walked him. He then became ill on the walk, walking more slowly and then suddenly became floppy.

The distraught dog owner then rushed him to an out-of-hours vets in Pershore.

After a blood test the vet confirmed he had ingested rat poison and two-year-old Alfie died later that night.

The owner told the Observer she bought Alfie for her dad after her mum passed away in 2014.

Sadly two months after she bought Alfie for her dad to keep him company, her father passed away and she feels Alfie was her last connection with her parents.

She said she feels ‘lost and heartbroken’ and believes Alfie may have ingested the poison on the field where she always walked him.

“Alfie was a happy and calm dog and he was always there to comfort me when I was down and missing my parents,” she said.

“On August 7 he became ill, his walking slowed down, he went floppy and was sick.

“I took him to the out of hours vets in Pershore at about 9pm and they later rang to say they had done a blood test and he had rat poison in his blood stream which would of been in him 72 hours before and I wouldn’t of known.

“He died that night an hour later and the vet did her best for my little dog.

“My dogs are my life. I just feel lost and heartbroken and angry all at the same time.

“The only place I take my dogs is the field off Fairwater Close in Evesham which leads on to Port Street. So if he had rat poison it had to be in that field.

“I just want to make other dog owners aware of this. I just don’t want anyone to go through the heartbreak that I have,” she added.

Comments