Paul Napper, head chef at the Evesham Hotel writes for the Observer
THE EVESHAM HOTEL ASPARAGUS SANDWICH
This month I am handing over my corner to my Sous Chef, Ben Whatcott, who has created the Evesham Hotel’s very own asparagus sandwich.
Using quality produce sourced from Worcestershire suppliers, the sandwich celebrates local flavours in one of Britain’s most iconic foods – the sandwich.
Five spears of local asparagus
Three rashers of unsmoked back bacon
Two slices Simon Weaver Cotswold organic brie
Two slices of bloomer bread
A handful of small leaf watercress
1. Bring small pan of water to the boil
2. Add spears of asparagus to boiling water and cook for four minutes
3. Grill rashers of baking to your liking
4. Top bacon with slices of brie
5. Drain asparagus and place in separate pan. Toss in butter and season with salt and pepper.
6. Butter both slices of bloomer bread
7. Place spears of asparagus onto one piece of bloomer and then add brie topped bacon rashers. Finally, add the watercress and place the other slide of bloomer on top.
8. Slice down the middle – and hey presto!